Tiny Tim Sandwich Cookies
By: Taste of Home [source]
83 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat),
6 mg cholesterol, 22 mg sodium,
12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Vary the food coloring for holidays throughout the year.
1 cup sugar, divided
2 to 3 drops red food coloring
2 to 3 drops green food coloring
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
4-1/2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
Red and green food coloring, optional
1. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and red food coloring; set aside. In another small bowl, combine remaining sugar with green food coloring; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Gradually add flour and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
3. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Coat bottom of two glasses with cooking spray, then dip one in red sugar and the other in green sugar. Flatten cookies alternately with prepared glasses, redipping in sugar as needed.
4. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
5. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, cream and extract. If desired, tint half of the frosting red and the other half green. Frost the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Makes: 5 Dozen